WHO ARE WE?
Homegrown Concept Sdn Bhd (HGC) is a Malaysian-owned company incorporated in 2015. The company is one of the pioneers in the cultivation of Agarwood.
HGC covers all aspects of the Agarwood industry, from managing plantation to trading of Agarwood globally.
WHY CHOOSE HGC?
- Guided plantation site visits within Malaysia
- Flexibility and transparency
- Quick response to enquiries and consistent business updates
- Inoculation technology with reliable and proven results
WHAT IS AGARWOOD?
Agarwood is the dark aromatic resinous heartwood from Aquilaria trees when they are infected with a type of mould. The resin is commonly known as Gaharu, Jinko, Aloeswood, Eaglewood, Pokok Karas or Oud.
Rapid depletion of wild Aquilaria is the reason why Agarwood is relatively rare and expensive. It is listed in the Red List Criteria (1994) by the International Union of Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and Appendix II (1995) by the the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
This denotes that the international trade of Agarwood is monitored by TRAFFIC (The Wildlife Trade Monitoring Network) and controlled to ensure that harvests and exports are not detrimental to the survival of the Aquilaria species in the wild.
In nature, less than 10% of the wild and mature Aquilaria trees can naturally produce resin. With our proven artificial inducement method, cultivated trees can be inoculated to produce Agarwood just within 2 years. Additionally, with our inoculation technology, this ensures Agarwood formation in most of the trees.
Distilling of Agarwood woodchips would produce Oud oil, which is used widely among the Middle East countries and highly preferred by Muslims, as Oud oil is non-alcoholic. It is also the base oil for the manufacturing of perfume. Globally, over 500 perfumes have Oud as one of their ingredients. It is valued in many cultures for its distinctive fragrance. It is also considered as the “Black Gold of the Forest”.
THE USAGE OF AGARWOOD
- Pharmaceutical Purposes – Traditional Chinese Medicine, Pills
- Beauty & Cosmetic Industry – Perfume, Soap, Aromatherapy
- Religious Items – Incense, Feng Shui,prayer beads
- Others – Agarwood Tea, Pure Oud Oiland Ornamental Products (e.g. Wood Carvings)
THE BENEFITS OF AGARWOOD
- It helps to treat anxiety, stress, depression and other nervous system disorders
- It is used to treat cirrhosis of liver, kidney problems, lungs and stomach tumours
- It is used as anti-rheumatic, anticonvulsant, anti-asthmatic, carminative diuretic & aphrodisiac
- As the pure Oud oil has a slow release effect, it’s perfect for high-end perfumes manufacturers